Revelation Study Guide: Week 23, Chapter 19
By Coty Pinckney
Read Revelation 19:11 to 21:8 once, and the section in chapter 19 two more times. This longer passage includes the description of the millennium, which we will consider in some detail in weeks 24 and 25; this week we focus on chapter 19.
(1) Consider 19:11-16. What verb tenses are used here in the description of the rider on the white horse? Enumerate his characteristics. Read Revelation 1:12-16, the first description of Jesus in this book. Also look at the descriptions which begin each of the seven letters to the churches: 2:1, 2:8, 2:12, 2:18, 3:1, 3:7, and 3:14. Who is the rider?
(2) Consider verses 13 and 15. Why is his robe dipped in blood? Look back at 14:19-20, as well as Isaiah 63:1-6 and Psalm 2 in its entirety. Is this disturbing or comforting? Why?
(3) In verse 14, who are those with the rider? Why are they clothed in white linen? See 17:14 as well as Matthew 26:53 and 2 Thessalonians 1:7.
(4) Consider verses 17 and 18. To what are the birds called? Contrast this with verse 9 of this chapter. See also Isaiah 34:1-8 and Ezekiel 39:17-20.
(5) Who fights against the rider in verses 19 and 20? What do they represent? Look back at chapter 13, and recall our discussion. What happens to these opponents? After this judgment, who is left to oppose the rider? Look back at chapter 12.
(6) What is your reaction to these images? Is your conception of God consistent with these verses? What impact do these verses have on how we conduct our lives today? Consider Hebrews 12:18-29.
Now read Wilcock pages 182-187 and Stedmanís sermon on 19:6 to 19:21. For now, skip over Wilcock pages 175-182, where he discusses different approaches to the millennium. (We'll read that for next time.) Revise your answers to the questions in light of their comments.
Copyright © 2000, Thomas C. Pinckney. This data file is the sole property of Thomas C. Pinckney. Please feel free to copy it, but only in its entirety for circulation freely without charge. All copies of this data file must contain the above copyright notice.
These study guides may be edited and revised for use in small groups provided:
This data file in its original or modified form may not be copied for resale or incorporated in any commercial publications, or other products offered for sale, without the written permission of Thomas C. Pinckney,email@example.com, c/o Community Bible Church, Harrison Ave, Williamstown, MA 01267.
(return to main sermon page)